Labels

Monday, August 20, 2018

Week 2 Story: A Shuffle in the Night

In the distance, he hears laughter. He ponders, who would be laughing out here? The sun is setting on the path, an unofficial path he has made from the numerous trips taken on the same route, to the same destination. The laughter is closer now, and he looks up, oh - it's just a crow. There are not normally crows on this path.


image source

It is a two day trip, and it's getting too dark to see anymore. The forest is less comforting tonight, he feels that he is being watched and builds a fire a little dimmer than usual in the small cove of the forest, just mere feet from the path.


***

Not much time had passed when he awoke to hear the shuffling of feet. Who would be walking here, who even knows this path is here? Through his blanket and past the snuffed fire, he sees, thinking, an old woman?dragging a large bag. He could lay still, hide beneath his covers - but she would see him in passing. Rather than wait to be found he decides to approach her - but not without finding out as much as he can beforehand.
image source

She is in rags, a mix of hides and fur, and upon further observation, carrying a knife still wet with blood. 

This discovery sends the hair on his neck straight up. But what else can he do? Beyond the path, the forest is too dense to travel through... and besides, she is getting closer.

Any attempt now to leave would be clearly heard by her. Thinking fast, he jumps on to the path to create an illusion of control. What are you doing, on this path, in the middle of the night? After several moments, his question is responded too - but the woman still does not show her face. My child is in this bag, he has succumbed

He is stricken, frozen, unable to respond. Is she telling the truth, and does he want to know, if not, what is the truth? Eyes never leaving the knife, he says I... am sorry... Can I do anything to help? More silence, more awkward moments that feel like eternity. He realizes that in all this time his adrenaline hasn't allowed him to notice the foul smell present, the bag? he wonders - but suddenly she attacks him.

She lunges with the knife and as he falls the hood comes off, this is no woman but the shredded remains of what was once a person. She has only one eye, the other an exposed socket and no nose, her lips are gone and only show bloodied teeth. Shreds of the skin left flail during the assault, he takes her arm holding the knife right as it is about to be plunged into his chest and her arm comes off. He wrenches the knife from her somehow still grasping hand and cuts off her head, or what was left of it.

The air is suddenly still, the only noise is his heavy breath. He stares at the few stars he can see past the tree. After several moments, he stands. Legs wavering, he manages to walk to the bag and cut it open - what he finds, makes bile rise in his throat. A child, a boy, but with flesh ripped from his body. Bites taken out of his limbs. He is not the one who was rotting, he was not the source of the smell, he has been too recently killed.

*** 

He is exhausted, having run for the rest of the trip home with no stopping. How can he rest, or ever feel safe again on that path. He sees the clearing, the familiar opening to his village they will know what to make of what happened he thinks. In the distance, he sees the backs of his mother and brother. Relief floods him as he finds comfort in their presence, until the wind brings a smell to his nose that runs his blood cold. Before they turn, he already knows what awaits him. His hands clench the knife.

image source





Authors Note

I started by writing the story in the same fashion, changing the bird and sound the protagonist thought he heard. My intent was to write the same story, but instead of hiding and lying he would approach and tell the truth. After I reached the approach part, the story changed with the antagonist being one person and a combination of the two. I also removed the conversation and went straight for the attack.  I really couldn't think of a way to bring a second character or extend the protagonist's stay for another night on the path - so I made the encounter darker so he would be encouraged to leave. While writing, I changed and added more details - keeping the knife - but adding the smell and bringing the son the woman was screaming about in the original story into this one. There was going to be a moral in this story, but in the end it just turned into the beginning of a zombie apocalypse.

Bibliography. "Supernatural: A Teton Ghost Story" from the Teton Lakota tribe. Myths and Legends of the Great Plains by Katharine Berry Judson (1913). Source.

On a lighter note - here is a picture I took of my dog. She was protesting me doing schoolwork by laying awkwardly across my legs, until she forgot about the protest and fell asleep.



7 comments:

  1. Selena.... that story was dark and I loved it. I think it is so awesome reading stories that are meant to scare you because they reveal what scenarios that the author themselves find to be frightening to them. This is the same with horror movies! I think many classic horror movies plots have been played out over the past decades so I feel like this has pushed filmmakers to get creative. They no longer go directly for the approach of appealing to our fears of ghosts and demons and zombies, but they prey on our fears that seem more grounded in the real word, such as living in a post-apocalyptic world (A Quiet Place), discrimination that can lead to your death (Get Out), and anarchy (The Purge).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Selena!
    I love these kinds of stories. The way you wrote that was awesome and full of suspense. Honestly I enjoyed this rendition so much I've decided I'll have to read story that was the inspiration for this. I think adding the smell portion to your story brought it to a new level and really set-up that ending perfectly. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Selena! First off, fantastic story! I couldn't even tell it was a rewrite, you really know how to make a story your own and I applaud that. Your story was full of such a great inner dialogue and descriptive words/phrases when it came to the woman on the path or the fight. My favorite part is probably your author's note I you explained your process so well and answered my question of what next by saying it was the zombie apocalypse. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I really enjoy the way that you formated the story, the way you made the main characters thoughts and speech in a different color gave the eye a good rest from the loud turquoise color but also gave you a signal to pay more attention to the text. You did a really great job catching the reader with your environmental description, something that us truly essential to a good ghost story. I'm wondering how it would have been if he would have recognized the body of the boy as someone from the village, that small boys from the village had been disappearing and he went out to research that, or even that he could have gotten so scared when he realized that and maybe he started that ghost story rumor, about the old woman ghost, when he came back to the village. But now I am just of on a tangent, hahah. I'm feeling very inspired by your story!

    - Anna Margret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, thanks for the feedback! I took what you said and changed the theme of my blog. Before it was just what I liked as far as colors go but I never thought that the harsh contrast might be a strain on the eyes; and since I don't read my posts from my actual blog I never noticed. Thanks for letting me know! I also really like the other feedback about the story itself, if I ever get a chance to revisit/rewrite this story I'll have to use some of that to deepen my character/plot.

      Delete
  5. Hi Selena, I liked the fact of how dark your story was. I haven't read a lot of dark stories in this class and this was just nice to read. One of the things that stuck out to me was how descriptive your story was. I just felt like I knew exactly where this story was taking place and everything in it's environment. You described the lady perfectly to me and I even imagined her smell. I was a little confused on the ending of the story but after I read it again it made sense to me. I didn't understand that the village had been attacked already but when I read again that he smelled the same smell it made a lot more sense to me. What if you let the main character go into the village and have him face the entire village as well. I know it'd be hard to survive but if he did then it would make him a strong character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Selena! First off, I really enjoyed reading your story and seeing how you were able to put your own spin on this original story! I definitely haven't read a lot of dark stories so far this semester, but I have a feeling I will start to venture that way a little later on in this class. I really appreciated how descriptive your story was, and how I was then able to make the story more of a movie in my head by picturing everything that was being written. I am now also curious to read the original version of this story to see how it compares to the version you just wrote. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your story and I hope to read more from you as the semester goes on! I hope you have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete