Labels

Monday, November 26, 2018

Wikipedia Trail: From Macbeth to King James



Macbeth, King of Scotland

I started with this page about the real Macbeth, because I had no idea he was a real person! I had no idea Shakespeare based it on real events, as the Real Macbeth was also killed by the Real Malcolm III. While based on real people, the article states it is not based on real events.


Holinshed's Chronicles

This lead me to here, Holinshed's Chronicles which are about British history and are the chronicles that Shakespeare used to inspire him for the play. Once again, I am met with surprise that Banquo is also a real person. Shakespeare also altered the witches from the chronicles nymphs and fairies and was thought to have done this to add a more sinister tone to his play.

Banquo

Here I learned about Banquo as I knew him in the play but that in life or at least the Chronicles he was actually an accomplice to the murder of the king. The change of character heart was done by Shakespeare to appease King James which leads me to my final article. While, as I said, the article seems to state he was a real person there is no reference to his roll in life other than an accomplice to murder leading me to believe the name was changed from whomever was the real murder accomplice.
image source
Above is an image seen in the Banqo wiki page and I really love it. In all my storybook research I did not see this painting and I think it is a very unique representation of the three witches but more or less as one evil entity. This is honestly a painting I would love to have hanging in my home.

James VI and I

This article is about King James, and though I have heard his name I have never really thought about him before. This king did not have a brave or quick death, as he suffered from kidney stones and gout, with severe teeth decay which probably was enhanced by his alcoholism. He was so ill, his pee was purple suggesting he suffered from porphyria,  but it was later dismissed because kidney stones can turn pee bloody also. He was said to be suffering a severe case of dysentery when he died.


No comments:

Post a Comment